Swap on ZFS Volume still panics?

App Deb appdebgr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 08:50:33 UTC 2010

Yes sorry for actually calling it a panic, it is a deadlock, I didn't see
any messages, anyway the system becomes unusable and needs a manual hard
reboot.

I found the mention (without any warnings) here:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS

I have tried this on 3 different systems (all 8.1R though) and they always
deadlock once the zfs swap is touched.

I think that the "not recommended" is not enough. It just doesn't work at
all, except if I am doing something wrong and there are some cases that it
works?

I have now switched to native freebsd-swap (after a long zfs send/receive
backup to resize the zpool :) ) and everything works great.

Thanks.