ZFS related kernel panic

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Thu Sep 9 14:16:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 04:12:18PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 09/09/10 15:00, a.smith at ukgrid.net wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am experiencing kernel panics when running a zfs receive. And
>
> Others will comment more, but...
>
> >siisch0: Timeout on slot 23
> >siisch0: siis_timeout is 00040000 ss 7fffffff rs 7fffffff es 00000000
> >sts 801d20
> >siisch0 ..waiting for slots 7f7fffff
> >
> >Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>
> >current proecess = 12 (irq256: siis0)
>
> ... this looks like a hardware error.
>
> Are you using AHCI here? Try turning it off.

This is a siis(4) card -- chances are he can't turn it off.  :-)  We
really need a backtrace to see what transpired.

The siis(4) driver may have crashed as a result of LUN timeouts.  The
driver shouldn't panic, I agree, but the port timing out is of major
concern.  I imagine this behaviour (the crash) could be reproduced even
if UFS2 was used and the timeout took place.