7.3 or 7-STABLE?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Sep 8 08:49:10 UTC 2010

Hello,

Quick question...  I'm still having issues with an amd64 box and
corruption on a largish (1.3T) filesystem.

http://www.listware.net/201007/freebsd-fs/13111-72-ufs2-corruption.html
- sorry for the crappy archive

I've let the RAID controller run a few full verifies, and that comes back
clean, the hardware is fine (pre-production it went through insanely long
memtest runs, a week of build/installworld, etc.).  Only after putting
some real mail load on it did this start happening.  For all I know, it
could have been one bad panic that mangled things and fsck simply cannot
fix it properly.

That said, before even taking it down for a long rsync off to another
host, newfs, then rsync back, I'd like to upgrade to 7.3 or 7-stable.

The reason for choosing both -fs and -scsi is that I'd like some feedback
from both groups on the two things I'm most suspicious of - UFS itself and
the mfi driver.  If neither has had any interesting changes in -stable,
I'll go to 7.3 (at 7.2 now).  If there are, then I might give -stable a
shot...

If the upgrade doesn't help, then I'll spend the time moving the data off,
newfs'ing /spool and bringing the data back.  If that doesn't work, then
it's 8.1 (unless someone has a really compelling argument on making that
step 1).

If this were my box, I'd be putting more time into this, but the client is
having numerous issues with cashflow, and I'm not looking to put out more
hours than I may get paid for.  Sad but true, and perhaps a lame excuse
for sloppy administration...

Thanks,

Charles