zfs very poor performance compared to ufs due to lack of cache?

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 10:55:48 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "jhell" <jhell at DataIX.net>

>> Will see what happens with stable tomorrow though :)
>
> Good luck Steve, Look forward to hearing the result. If you are happy
> with the result you get from stable/8 I would reccommend patching to v15
> which is much more stable than the v14 code.

No joy I'm afraid still the same:-

ARC Size:
        Current Size:                   57.14%  2047.91M (arcsize)
        Target Size: (Adaptive)         57.14%  2048.00M (c)
        Min Size (Hard Limit):          57.14%  2048.00M (c_min)
        Max Size (High Water):          ~1:1    3584.00M (c_max)

Mem: 104M Active, 1185M Inact, 2452M Wired, 268K Cache, 418M Buf, 202M Free
Swap: 4096M Total, 1112K Used, 4095M Free

> The specific patches you would want are: (in order)
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v15/stable-8-v15.patch
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/zfs_metaslab_v2.patch
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/zfs_abe_stat_rrwlock.patch
> and then the needfree.patch I already posted.
>
> The maxusers.patch being optional.

Can do this but do we believe this will have any impact on the problem?

    Regards
    Steve