zfs very poor performance compared to ufs due to lack of cache?

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Sun Sep 5 23:34:34 UTC 2010

On 09/05/2010 16:13, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> 3656:  uint64_t available_memory = ptoa((uintmax_t)cnt.v_free_count
>> 3657:      + cnt.v_cache_count);

> earlier at 3614 I have what I think your after which is:
>    uint64_t available_memory = ptoa((uintmax_t)cnt.v_free_count);

Alright change this to the above, recompile and re-run your tests.
Effectively before this change that apparently still needs to be MFC'd
or MFS'd would not allow ZFS to look at or use cnt.v_cache_count. Pretty
much to sum it up "available mem = cache + free"

This possibly could cause what your seeing but there might be other
changes still yet TBD. Ill look into what else has changed from RELEASE
-> STABLE.

Also do you check out your sources with svn(1) or csup(1) ?

Regards,

--

 jhell,v