ZFS v28 is ready for wider testing

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 22:42:21 UTC 2010

PJD, MM, et al...

> This patchset is also a message we, as the FreeBSD project, would like
> to send to our users: Eventhough OpenSolaris is dead, the ZFS file
> system is going to stay in FreeBSD. At this point we have quite a few
> developers involved in ZFS on FreeBSD as well as serveral companies.
> We are also looking forward to work with IllumOS.
> The patch I want to publish contains everything what Sun and Oracle
> published so far. It is the most recent version you can get.

I don't think the importance of this status and future work prospects
can be understated :)

And with the community now seemingly basing on the last ON commit
from OpenSolaris before they went closed, that leaves at least three
OS's soon able to interop with ZFS at the same level:
[Open]Solaris, IllumOS, FreeBSD... and perhaps even Linux.

Sure, a lot featurewise [big chunks such as BP rewrite and crypto]
still might depend on Oracle follow through and publishing its code
after binary releases.

Yet even without that, a possible common community branch would be
a good thing.

And somehow, with luck, maybe the future Oracle stuff will still
make it into open ZFS and vice versa [1].

> The boot code is not updated at all, so booting off of ZFS doesn't
> currently work.

As always, it will in time I'm sure.

Thank you!

PS: I just dropped another gig of ram in a one gig box and haven't
had a ZFS lockup or kernel out of ram process kill yet, sweet!

i386 RELENG_8 GENERIC 20100726
# modified
vm.kmem_size=650000000
# default
vm.kmem_size_max: 335544320
vm.kvm_free: 62910464
vm.kvm_size: 1073737728
vfs.zfs.arc_max: 406250000

[1] "We will have a technology partner program to permit our industry
partners full access to the in-development Solaris source code through
the Oracle Technology Network (OTN). This will include both early
access to code and binaries, as well as contributions to us where that
is appropriate."