ZFS: Parallel I/O to vdevs that appear to be separate physical disks but really are partitions

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 23 08:59:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 03:52:36PM -0700, Eugene M. Kim wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I run a FreeBSD guest in VMware ESXi with a 10GB zpool.  Lately the
> originally provisioned 10GB proved insufficient, and I would like to
> provision another 10GB virtual disk and add it to the zpool as a
> top-level vdev.
>
> The original and new virtual disks are from the same physical pool (a
> RAID-5 array), but appears to be separate physical disks to the
> FreeBSD guest (da0 and da1).  I am afraid that the ZFS would schedule
> I/O to the two virtual disks in parallel thinking that the pool
> performance will improve, while the performance would actually suffer
> due to seeking back and forth between two regions of one physical pool.
>
> 1. Will ZFS schedule parallel access to different top-level vdevs?

Yes, ZFS stripes requests over all top level vdevs.

> 2. If so, how can I suggest ZFS that certain vdevs should be treated
> not as separate physical disks but as partitions on the same physical
> disk?

Nope, that's not possible.

Instead of adding next 10GB disk maybe it is possible to grow the one
you have? ZFS should be able to grow automatically.