ZFS trouble: unbelievably large files created

David Samms dsamms at nw-ds.com
Fri Oct 15 18:11:50 UTC 2010

On 10/15/10 13:48, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 01:07:37PM -0400, David Samms wrote:
>> I am running into issues with ZFS where perl, specifically amavisd
>> running spamassassin creates unbelievably large files, as in files
>> 100x the size of the hard disk.
>>
>> My setup is a host run a dozen jails.  The host is amd64 FreeBSD
>> 8.1-RELEASE-p1 #6 as of Thu Sep 30.  The jails are running 8.0
>> release as I have not yet upgraded them.  This setup has been very
>> stable till I introduced ZFS.  Below is the zpool setup:
>>
>> zpool status
>>    pool: m1012
>>   state: ONLINE
>>   scrub: none requested
>> config:
>>
>>          NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>          m1012       ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>              ad10    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>              ad12    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>
>> Last night I moved six jails from my UFS+S RAID5 file system to the
>> new ZFS file system.  Since then perl occasionally runs at 100% disk
>> usage accessing files in /var/amavis/.spamassassin  Here is the
>> current directory listing:
>>
>> ls -l .spamassassin
>> total 13352131
>> -rw-------  1 vscan  vscan           684032 Oct 15 12:02 auto-whitelist
>> -rw-------  1 vscan  vscan               40 Oct 15 12:37 bayes.lock
>> -rw-------  1 vscan  vscan          1294336 Oct 15 12:38 bayes_seen
>> -rw-------  1 vscan  vscan          4227072 Oct 15 12:38 bayes_toks
>> -rw-------  1 vscan  vscan     553184002048 Oct 15 12:38
>> bayes_toks.expire3515
>> -rw-------  1 vscan  vscan  140743122878464 Oct 15 12:14
>> bayes_toks.expire97254
>>
>> The last file is 140TB which is pretty good sized for a 1TB disk.
>> Disk compression is OFF.  du -hs reports 13G int the .spamassassin
>> directory.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Thread titled "Strange ZFS problem, filesystem claims to be full when
> clearly not full":
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-September/thread.html#9610

I don't think it is related, but could be.  I am not seeing the disk as
full, although I do know that if I let perl continue to write it does
fill the ZFS partition.

df -h
Filesystem      Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
m1012/shawxp     40G     19G     21G    48%    /

zfs list
m1012/shawxp        20.0G  20.9G  19.1G  /m1012/shawxp