fcntl always fails to delete lock file, and PID is always -6464

Daichi GOTO daichi at ongs.co.jp
Mon Oct 4 05:49:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 22:05:12 -0700
Garrett Cooper <gcooper at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Daichi GOTO <daichi at ongs.co.jp> wrote:
> > It looks very strange. fcntl() always fails to delete lock file
> > and command.l_pid is always -6464. This issue is disclosed in
> > porting Google's Japanese input system called "mozc".
> >
> >  details follow:
> >    http://code.google.com/p/mozc/issues/detail?id=40
> >
> > % uname -a
> > FreeBSD parancell.ongs.co.jp 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #6 r213257: Thu Sep 30 10:30:06 JST 2010     root at parancell.ongs.co.jp:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PARANCELL  amd64
> > %
> >
> > My home directory on NFS server.  Does anyone have any ideas?
>

>     I see some bad assumptions in the code:
>
>     const int result = ::fcntl(*fd, F_SETLK, &command);
>     if (-1 == result) {  // failed
>       ::close(*fd);
>       LOG(WARNING) << "already locked";
>       return false;   // another server is already running
>     }
>
>     If the developer actually coded to POSIX expectations, he/she
> would be checking for EACCES/EAGAIN; there are a myriad of other

It was EAGAIN, when I checked.  And -6464 is very strange....
It should be -1 when it fails with EGAIN according to FreeBSD
fcntl(2) manual.

Repeat is easy:
  # cd /usr/ports/japanese/mozc-server/
  # rm files/patch-server_mozc_server.cc
  # make WITH_DEBUG_CODE=yes install clean

  % mozc_server
  ^C    --> in this timing, lock files should be deleted, but not working.
  % mozc_server  --> so server will not run and finish soon
  %

  % cat ~/.mozc/mozc_server.log

--
Daichi GOTO