Data loss when hard shutdown!

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Sat Oct 2 12:59:05 UTC 2010

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:49:50 +0200, Phan Quoc Hien
<phanquochien at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank for your respond. I have checked my fstab file. I didn't see any
> option about SoftUpdates for my / partition.

When you give the command 'mount' you will see several lines like this.

/dev/ad8s1d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)

Softupdates can be enabled/disabled with the command tunefs. See 'man
tunefs'.

My advice is to not pull the power plug after changing critical files, but
to reboot cleanly. Than there is no problem for 99% of the time and your
computer is fast also.
Or is there a reason for you to prefer the power plug?

Ronald.