Data loss when hard shutdown!

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Sat Oct 2 12:15:12 UTC 2010

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:28:59 +0200, Phan Quoc Hien
<phanquochien at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello everybody.
> I'm new to freebsd, When I hard shutdown my freebsd box..it caused lost
> some
> file. I used UFS2. How can prevent that? or recovery my file?
> Thanks!

By hard shutdown you mean pulling the power plug?

UFS2 (and most other filesystems on other operating systems) guarantee
consistency of metadata (filenames, directory structures, etc.) after a
crash. However it is possible to loose the last X seconds of unwritten
data. That can be the complete contents of a new file.

If it is really important you can mount your filesystem 'sync' see 'man
mount' in which case it will become slow, but more up-to-date.

Ronald.