ext2fs now extremely slow

Aditya Sarawgi sarawgi.aditya at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:41:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 05:43:26PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 11/03/10 16:38, Aditya Sarawgi wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Doug Barton<dougb at freebsd.org>  wrote:
>
> >> Is anything happening with this?  I recently built a new system that is
> >> multi-booting windows, freebsd, and ubuntu. I chose ext[23]fs for my /home
> >> partition so that I could share unix'y stuff between freebsd and linux, but
> >> I'm having both performance and stability problems, and today (fortunately
> >> for the first time, and fortunately recoverable) I had actual data loss. I'm
> >> happy to be a guinea pig for new code if people are reasonably sure that it
> >> will help, but if the situation doesn't improve I will have to reformat.
> >>

> > Are you suffering from these problems on CURRENT ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Can you please elaborate
> > on the performance and stability issue you are facing ? Any specific scenario ?
>
> What I did was create a fairly large (37G) /home and put all the stuff
> I'd like to have access to from all 3 systems, like svn, my ports tree,
> etc. I also ended up putting my obj directory there because I created my
> /usr/local a little smaller than I should have and after installing
> gnome I ran out of room. :)
>
> I should also point out that this is on a brand new desktop system that
> was donated by a FreeBSD user. It's a C2D running at 3.17G, 4G RAM, and
> a fast 250G disk. I'm running amd64 -current. Everything disk intensive
> (updating ports with csup, updating my svn trees, etc.) is slower on
> this system than it was on my laptop where all the same stuff was on
> UFS2. Bruce's message that started this thread alluded to the problems,
> my experience has been similar.
>
> Regarding stability, sometimes (but not always) when I'm doing the above
> listed disk-intensive things on an otherwise idle system I've had the
> system lock up. Not panic, not reboot, just wedge. I'm running X when
> this happens, so I'm not 100% sure that the disk activity is the
> culprit, but it seems very suspicious. Yesterday was a very bad day, I
> had to do 3 tries to get all the way through a buildworld/kernel, mostly
> because the last 2 crashes resulted in my /usr/src (which is actually
> /home/svn/head) and /usr/obj (/home/obj-9) directories getting corrupted
> respectively. Today (running r214694) has actually been quite good,
> although I haven't tried a buildworld yet.

I am not sure if this is the right use case for ext2fs

> > You can test Zheng's preallocation patch for ext2fs, there is a
> > serious lack of testers for that.
>
> I would be happy to do that, but my reading of this thread last month
> didn't produce a clear "try this version of the patch" neon sign.
> Various people referred to suggestions, updates, etc. If someone could
> provide a URL for the right patch to try, as well as a suggestion for
> benchmarking methodology, I'll be glad to do so.

I have attached the patch. Some primitive testing like copying files,
untaring etc and comparing with the existing ext2fs will do. If you
are looking to do a full fledged benchmarking then I would suggest
iozone, blogbench, dbench etc.

> >> On a related note, is there any way to use the journaling features of ext3fs
> >> in FreeBSD? When I boot the linux partition it's treating the fs as ext3fs,
> >> but AFAICS we only have ext2fs capabilities.
> >>

> > Journaling is difficult to bring in, especially if one is planning to
> > have a BSDL version.
>
> Ok. I can live with accessing the stuff as ext2 from FreeBSD, and I can
> even live with a minor performance penalty. What I can't live with is
> instability and/or data corruption; and it should go without saying that
> our users should not have to live with that either.

We were planning to use gjournal but it is too tied with UFS and it wouldn't be
compatible with ext2fs journaling. Haiku seems to have journaling for ext2fs but
that depends a lot on BFS journaling.
Bringing in journaling code is not a option over here since they have their separate
journaling layer.