UFS Journaling gone south

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed May 19 13:39:42 UTC 2010

On 05/19/10 15:04, Mike Barnard wrote:
> Am I on the wrong mailing list with this question... should I bump it over
> to another... if so, which one, freebsd-geom?

You have written too much and done too much for anyone to correctly
follow. I suggest you start over:

1. Destroy all your data & journal partitions/slices/devices. Be sure
all metadata is also destroyed.
2. Configure /boot/loader.conf to load gjournal
3. Use gjournal "-h" switch when creating gjournal devices
4. Use newfs "-J" switch when creating file systems on the gjournal devices
5. Use "async" mount option when mounting those file systems

Or, if fsck times are your main concern, wait for UFS+SUJ to be MFC-ed
(which should happen before 8.2, maybe earlier).