ZFS Recordsize tuning & transmission (bittorent daemon)

Matthias Gamsjager mgamsjager at gmail.com
Wed May 19 08:47:19 UTC 2010

> ZFS recordsize on both pools are default (128k). But as transmission
> bittorrent client has no write (nor read) cache, it could mean that data is
> written is smaller chunks during download. Could this lead to data being
> stored in many not-full records ? Does those unfull records would have to be
> read as whole (128k) during the move, which would explain the above
> difference on read/write ?
>
> I'm just making assumptions here, as my understanding of internals of ZFS is
> limited. Some insights would be appreciated.

Well ZFS does not write immediately but waits couple of seconds and
write them in 1 single write operation.

could you give more info about what freebsd version do you use,
hardware used, zfs parameters in /boot/loader.conf and zfs info like
compression etc...

did you test your pool with Iozone to see if it performance as it should?