UFS Journaling gone south

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Mon May 17 07:10:32 UTC 2010

Hi,

apologies for cross posting. I had posted this to freebsd-questions before.
I believe this should have been the right place to post this.

I'm trying out gjournal before I implement if on one server. I require more
than 8 partitions, but since I cannot do this, have 9 partitions on one
slice, I have created two slices on the disk, da0s1 (100GB) and da0s2
(40GB). On the first slice, I have my usual partitions. On the second slice,
I have two partitions, each 20GB (da0s2d and da0s2e) that will be used as
the journal providers.

I need to journaled two partitions /usr (da0s1f) and /resource (da0s1g). I
have done the following to get my data providers and journal providers

-- boot into single usermode
-- unmount /usr and /resource
-- gjournal load
-- gjournal label -f da0s1f da0s2d
-- gjournal label -f da0s1g da0s2e
-- tunefs -J enable -n disable da0s1f.journal
-- tunefs -J enable -n disable da0s1g.journal
-- mount /dev/da0s1f.journal /usr and mount /dev/da0s1g.journal /resource.
Each mount with -o async
-- edited fstab to mount the journal devices
"/dev/da0s1f.journal     /usr            ufs     rw,async      2       2"
"/dev/da0s1g.journal     /resource            ufs     rw,async      2
2"

-- edited loader.conf and added geom_journal_load="YES"

If I enter ctrl+d, I continue to multi usermode with no problem. However,
after a reboot, I get the messages below when it tries to mount the
partitions:

Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal 3033687591 cannot be completed
GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 3033687591 : da0s1f contains data.
Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal 107992178 cannot be completed
GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 107992178 : da0s1g contains data.
Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal 3033687591 cannot be completed
GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 3033687591 : ufsid/4bed9437003f40f4 contains data.
Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal 3033687591 cannot be completed
GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 3033687591 : ufsid/4bed9437dfb979f4 contains data.

This goes on and on... I cannot go beyond this point. Did I miss something?

PS: I started off with a journal provider partition of 5GB and increased all
the way to 20GB testing whether my journal sizes were too small. This was
after I googled and read that this error will occur if the journal provider
size is small. I have attempted this with the journal provider partions on
the first slice, da0s1 and also on the second sloce da0s2. All get me the
above error.

PPS: I am doing this on FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE AMD64

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.