zfs drive replacement issues

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon May 17 01:36:06 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Wes Morgan <morganw at chemikals.org> wrote:

> There
> operations

> still

> pool
> > >
> > > I wouldn't recommend that. What about attaching it externally, via
> eSATA
> > > or USB?
> >
> > Unfortunately, my machine doesn't support eSATA and I don't have a USB
> > to SATA adapter.  I can pick one up if it'll help me solve this, though,
> > but one related issue: will the device be identified as the device that
> > used to be on ad6 (or ad6s1) once it's attached via another means, like
> > a USB adapter?  I suspect it will (or that I can issue a command to tell
> > the zpool about it, anyway) but I thought I'd double check...
>
> Via USB, it will show up as a daX device, and it should be recognized
> without problem by zfs. You may need to export and import the pool,
> though.

Or, plug the old drive back into the same spot it was plugged into before,
so it shows up as ad6.  And plug in the new drive via USB.

If you manage to get the pool back into a consistent state, then you can
export, plug the new drive into the SATA port, and re-import the pool.  ZFS
will find the drive correctly and adjust things as needed.
--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com