Quick ZFS mirroring question for non-mirrored pool

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sun May 16 21:01:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 01:37:57PM -0700, Simun Mikecin wrote:
> [...]

You're absolutely right.  I reviewed WDC's site before making my
statement, but the way they do their layout is a bit confusing.  "RE4"
appears in the 3rd column, while "RE4-GP" appears in its own column,
since they segregate it due to its lower power usage:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=2

The price difference between these drives is US$50 (RE4 costing more):

WDC RE4: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=732
WDC CBk: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=733

What do people get in exchange for paying 1/5th more in cost?  Basically
nothing:

* TLER is usable / adjustable on both RE4 and Black drives.  It defaults
  to disabled on the Black.  Some tech forum weirdos state WD disabled
  the ability to adjust the feature on later Black drives; I've
  personally confirmed that's not true (said weirdos probably forgot to
  disable AHCI when using the DOS utility to adjust TLER).  This is
  probably the most useful feature for these drives when used in RAID
  or a RAID-like (ZFS) fashion.

* RAFF sounds like marketing schmooze, given that both the RE4 and Black
  drives already provide an extra-stable motor shaft ("StableTrac").
  Yes, I've seen the Youtube video of an administrator showing the
  effects of vibration on array performance/stability; I've a hard time
  believing this would matter in the OP's system.

* PMR has been in use since 2005 on all types of drives, across
  multiple vendors.  There's nothing amazing about it at this point.

* More marketing: the Caviar Black lists "dual processors".  Whatever.

* As has been proven time and time again, MTBF means jack squat since
  it's all hypothetical (mathematically calculated based on fab tests).
  Drives will fail no matter what; that's the entire reason people are
  using ZFS to begin with.  ;-)

The only feature that sounds even remotely useful is the "dynamic fly
height" feature of the RE4, and it's not worth US$50.  I have to wonder
if marketing these days has found a way to pray on obsessive-compulsive
disorder or what...