ZFS and __FreeBSD_version

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 13 21:18:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 07:44:52AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> Boris Kochergin wrote:
> >Hi. Can __FreeBSD_version be bumped if ZFS's userland API is ever
> >changed again? I got slightly bitten by the
> >state_to_name()-to-zpool_state_to_name() change from version 6 to
> >version 13 and would like a reliable way of keeping track of this type
> >of stuff in the future. Thanks.
>
> Yes, it should be bumped anytime the API changes.  That is definitely a
> bug that it wasn't done properly last time.

I must disagree here. libzfs API is for ZFS internal use only and is
subject to change at any time. This is true for OpenSolaris as well.
We, of course, can bump __FreeBSD_version if it helps, but one shouldn't
expect libzfs API being stable or there is any care taken to maintain
backward compatibility.