bin/144214: zfsboot fails on gang block after upgrade to zfs v14

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Thu May 13 06:44:31 UTC 2010

2010/5/13 Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua>:
> This is what I am confused about.
> What do you mean by the same 'boot code'?
> I originally asked if you have the *latest* bootcode installed, but you seem to
> be giving contradicting answers...
>
> You detailed your magic workaround of re-writing data, but you haven't mentioned
> how you updated your boot code.
> Could you please report the actual commands that you use to update the boot
> blocks?  Just so we are sure that the problem is indeed present in the latest code.

1. I have updated bootcode just in month or so before the failure.

dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/slice count=1 bs=512
dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/slice skip=1 seek=1024 bs=512

Yes, this means revision 206815 was not there.

2. After the computer fails this time I haven't touched bootcode.

I see your point and I'll try to retest on recent STABLE. This changes
nothing though.
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/stable/8/sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c?r1=199634&r2=206815&pathrev=206815

I'll try to retest writing on recent STABLE on i386. Maybe not the
bootcode is culprit here.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.