Freebsd 8.0 kmem map too small

Artem Belevich fbsdlist at src.cx
Tue May 11 15:44:09 UTC 2010

> Thanks for confirmation, I also suspected that. I'll turn using UMA for
> zio allocations off.

Perhaps on i386 only? memory fragmentation is only of concern if you
don't have enough VM space. on amd64 it's easily solved by bumping
vm.kmem_size up -- something that one's typically advised to do
anyways.

If I understand it correctly, without ZIO_USE_UMA, ZFS ARC allocations
would normally be served from power-of-two zones. For relatively
random allocations it would result in  fair amount of waste for
smaller sized allocations.

The increase in apparent amount of wired memory is a bit of red
herring. If ARC size is limited to below wired max and there's enough
physical memory, then UMA caches may keep a lot of memory hanging on
caches' free lists. That memory will be given up as soon as pagedaemon
bothers to wake up.

--Artem