bin/144214: zfsboot fails on gang block after upgrade to zfs v14

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Tue May 4 22:51:04 UTC 2010

On 29.04.2010 15:20, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>   Just to be on the sure side: have you guys actually updated bootblocks on your system?
>   I.e. the code that runs before loader and that resides beyond filesystems.

Yes, I do.

Actually I was hit by the same bug recently one more time. After rebuild
machine refuses to boot because of some gang blocks. I've tried to use
i386 for the restoration purpose and set up a virtualbox in which I more
then ten times tried to rewrite /boot and reboot from pool. Possible
results were:

  * instant crash with colorful junk on the screen, just after the
wiggling dash appear - seems like corrupted zfsloader;
  * refusing to load kernel showing the error;
  * lotsa gibberish about forth words unknown - seems like loader or
some config files corrupted.

Having played for 1 day with the disk I find that amount of luck for me
to boot should be heavy, so I switched virtualbox to amd64 and just
after the first rewrite of /boot system was up and running.

  1. I used the same FreeBSD version to rewrite the data:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201004/FreeBSD-8.0-STABLE-201004-amd64-livefs.iso
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201004/FreeBSD-8.0-STABLE-201004-i386-livefs.iso
  2. I used the same boot code and haven't changed it.

So it looks like ZFS is writing data to the disks differently on i386.
Just "the other way".

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.