ZFS raidz and 4k sector disks

Simun Mikecin numisemis at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 07:36:59 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

Emulation jumper only changes first LBA number to 1 to made
> WinXP start first partition from 64 sector (63+1).
May be fresh firmware
> update can solve this problem.

I don't think they will ever come with a firmware update like that because WD has major operating systems (like Windows 7) covered.
It could be solved by asking the drive what is the size of a sector (such ATA call exists: see http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/WhitePapers/ENG/2579-771430.pdf) and set the sector size of the device (/dev/[a]da*) as needed . That would be a permanent solution for ZFS, UFS, swap or any other consumer of this device.