g_vfs_open and bread(devvp, ...)

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Fri Mar 26 18:21:22 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-26 17:15, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> I should note that they already have grown: Western Digital, as of a few
> months ago, began shipping drives that use 4KByte sectors.
> A discussion and an including an incredibly cheesy video review are
> below.  The video review does discuss the 4KB sector size, in addition
> to jumpers that revert the drive to using 512-byte sectors for older
> OSes such as Windows XP -- and presumably FreeBSD.

Please note these drives *always* expose 512-byte sectors to any OS, at
least for now.

The jumper you refer to is only a hack to force sector 63 (the usual
starting position for the first partition) to be aligned on a 4096-byte
boundary.  If you would remove it after partitioning, all sectors would
shift up one sector, and there would be trouble. :)