ZFS, Samba, ACL

Arnaud Houdelette arnaud.houdelette at tzim.net
Fri Mar 26 06:47:11 UTC 2010

On 25/03/2010 16:51, Ivan Voras wrote:
> ZFS supports "NFSv4-style" ACLs, which are supposed to be similar to
> Windows NTFS-stye ACLs. Samba has an "ACL" option but I've seen it
> work (somewhat) on POSIX style ACLs. Did anyone experiment with using
> Samba and ZFS to store Windows ACLs?

Here's my findings :
There is an existing ZFS_ACL VFS module for samba for Solaris.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with FreeBSD ZFS, as the ACL API in
FreeBSD is different from the Solaris One.
There is a compatibility library, though, but it need to be integrated
in (or linked to) the module.
Last time I tried, I did not manage to make this work (I may not have
the skills).
More info on the bottom of this wiki page :
http://wiki.freebsd.org/NFSv4_ACLs