ZFS and Deduplication?

Steve Pate spate at mac.com
Wed Mar 24 17:24:06 UTC 2010

I'm really not familiar with the FreeBSD development process so I apologize if I'm asking questions which appear naive.

We'd like to ship a FreeBSD-based product by early next year that contains ZFS with de-dup. From what I see, FreeBSD seems to be tracking Solaris in terms of taking stable versions of ZFS. In other words, you're taking the version of ZFS that will next move from Open Solaris to Solaris. Is that correct?

>From what I understand FreeBSD 8-STABLE includes ZFS version 14, which brings it to parity with Solaris 10.

ZFS version 21 contains de-duplication so is quite a long way ahead of where FreeBSD is today. This implies that it will take quite some time for ZFS + de-dupe to get into a stable version of FreeBSD. Correct?

Now, if we were to port ZFS version 22 (or later) to FreeBSD 8.x (version number TBD), how could we work with the FreeBSD team to get ZFS version 21+ back into a subsequent FreeBSD release?

Cheers,
Steve