Frustration: replace not doing what I expected.

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Sun Mar 21 15:54:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Baldur Gislason wrote:

> A drive failed in a pool and I had to replace it.
> I did zpool replace ad18 ad18, the pool resilvered for 5 hours
> and finished but did not return from degraded mode.
> I tried removing the cache file and reimporting the pool, no change, it
> hasn't gotten rid of the old drive which does not exist anymore.

Hmmm. I've successfully replaced a drive that way before, and I'm sure
many other people have. Did you offline ad18 before doing both the
physical drive replacement and the zpool replace? I can't recall if that
is necessary or not. Can you send the relevant output from zpool history?

The "old" device is part of the metadata on the drive labels, so there is
no way to remove it like you're wanting without either zfs deciding to
remove it or rewriting the labels by hand.