ZFS Boot problem after hard shutdown while resilvering RAIDZ1

Matt Reimer mattjreimer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 18:51:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Morrison <journey at onpuls.com> wrote:

> Hello folks.
>
> Here are my specs:
>        FreeBSD Current 8.0 (amd64)
>        3x 2TB HDD combined to a RAIDZ1
>        GPT
>        Root is running on ZFS,
>        I used the following Guideline (
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ1)
>

> Here is the problem:
>
> I had to replace a drive, but chose by accident a spare which hat some
> strange malfunction as well.
> I used the command:
>        zpool replace zroot gpt/disk1
>
>        zpool status
> gave me the information that resilvering would take 2500h (increasing).
> After a couple of MB were resilvered (very slowly), I decided to shut the
> system down safely, which didn't work, so I powered it off by holding the
> power switch.
> I detached the malfunctioned spare drive and tried to start the system with
> the two HDDs, but now I am getting
>
>        ZFS: can only boot from disk, mirror or raidz vdevs
>        ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
>        ZFS: can't read object set for dataset lld
>        Can't find root filesystem - giving up
>        ZFS: unexpected object set type lld
>        ZFS: unexpected object set type lld
>
>        FreeBSD/i386 boot
>        Default: zroot:/boot/kernel/kernel
>        boot:
>        ZFS: unexpected object set type lld
>
>        FreeBSD/i386 boot
>        Default: zroot:/boot/kernel/kernel
>        boot:_

Those 'type lld' suggests you're running an older gptzfsboot. Try the latest
from -CURRENT or -STABLE. Newer gptzfsboot can boot from a degraded array.

> I used my LiveFS USB and tried with Fixit, after loading opensolaris.ko and
> zfs.ko:
>        zpool import -f zroot
>
> After that, all HDDs started making noises as if they try to heal/restore
> them self. But all commands I entered then, gave me errors like:
>        /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libavl.so.2" not found,
> required by "zpool"
> Even sImple commands like "ls" produce simular messages.
> I waited one night until the HDDs went silent and rebooted, but without any
> luck.

Maybe you should import the pool using an alternate root, like "zpool import
-f -R /mnt" so you're not replacing /usr etc. out from under Fixit?

Matt