FreeBSD 8.1 and HAST

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sun Jun 13 12:41:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 08:26:30PM +0900, hiroshi at soupacific.com wrote:

> >>Jun 13 16:25:37 sv01A hastd: [zfshast] (primary) Header contains no 'seq' field.
> >
> >This is the most important bit from the primary node.
> >
> >The header either does not contain 'seq' field or this field is 0. It
> >can only be 0 if you have old kernel. With recent kernel geom_gate.ko
> >was modified to start seq at 1, so this should not happen.
> >
> >Can verify that your kernel is in sync with your userland?
> >

> I did csup, builworld buildkernel and instalkernel .
> geom_gate.ko and uanme -a are same date!

This is not verifying that the kernel and userland are in sync.
geom_gate.ko is installed via "installkernel".  You should never just
buildkernel/installkernel/reboot; you should do everything, including
world.  The procedure to follow is described in /usr/src/Makefile.  I've
included it below, just for posterity.

#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'                         (you may wish to use -U or -ai).
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)

Please do not skip/avoid the reboot-into-single-user-mode step.  If you
don't have physical access the machine or OOB (out-of-band, e.g.  serial
console, IPMI, LOM, etc.) access, you can "live dangerously" by doing
the installworld step after installkernel then rebooting.  But be aware
there are situations where some files in /libexec or /usr/libexec may
not get updated, which can be immediately devastating.  I've seen this
happen on a couple of occasions.  Considered yourself warned.  :-)