CFT: periodic scrubbing of ZFS pools

jhell jhell at dataix.net
Sat Jun 12 12:03:52 UTC 2010

On 06/11/2010 12:11, Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 11 June 2010 17:20, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
>> Quoting Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> (from Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:04:24
>> +0200):
>
>>> Fairly good and useful, but could you add a small check of "zpool
>>> status" information before scrubbing that would a) complain LOUDLY AND
>>> VISIBLY if a previous scrub failed and b) skip issuing a new scrub
>>> command if there is such an error, to avoid stressing possibly broken
>>> hardware?
>>
>> Can you please provide an example of such a failed scrub?
>
> You should probably treat any status message that doesn't have "none
> requested" or "scrub completed with 0 errors..." as failed.

I disagree with this as it conflicts with your previous request.

none requested = no error and the next scrub should be allowed

scrub completed with 0 errors = no errors.

Why shouldn't the next scrub that is being determined in the script take
place if there is no errors ?. I only see doing this if you want the
scrub to only ever be performed once and never again thereafter.

I do agree on the other hand if the scrub status has any form of
[fF][aA][iI][dD] in it then it should not be performed and as well if it
contains [fF][aA][uU][lL][tT][eE][dD] or some other combinations on one
of the devices.

Regards,

--

 jhell