zfs i/o error, no driver error

Martin Simmons martin at lispworks.com
Mon Jun 7 11:12:19 UTC 2010

> I'm still trying to figure out why people do this.

Maybe because the ZFS Best Practices Guide suggests it?  ("Run zpool scrub on
a regular basis to identify data integrity problems...")

It makes sense to detect errors when there is still a healthy mirror, rather
than waiting until two drives are failing :-)

> It's important to remember that scrubs are *highly* intensive on both
> the system itself as well as on all pool members.  Disk I/O activity is
> very heavy during a scrub; it's not considered "normal use".

Is it worse that a full backup?  I guess scrub does read all drives, but OTOH
backup will typically read all data non-linearly, which adds a different kind
of stress.

__Martin