kern/147420: [nfs] kldload nfs modules causes nfs-aware kernel panic after a while

Peter Cornelius pcc at gmx.net
Fri Jun 4 07:50:04 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR kern/147420; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Peter Cornelius" <pcc at gmx.net>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, freebsd-bugs at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/147420: [nfs] kldload nfs modules causes nfs-aware kernel
 panic after a while
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 09:45:00 +0200

 Re.

 The situation has re-occurred at the exact same spot.

   panic: ufs_dirbad: /usr: bad dir ino 46895494 at offset 114368: mangled entry
   cpuid=1
   KDB: enter: panic
   [thread pid 42063 tid 100153]
   Stopped at      kdb_enter+0x3a movl    $0,kdb_why

 I now googled with [nfs|ufs]_dirbad as a better keyword and hence now think that this issue actually may be a duplicate of kern/135690.

 I have a screenshot photo of a bt and can supply that on request; no textual dumps due to no dumps, sorry. I can leave the box on for another one or two hours if anyone wishes other commands meanwhile.

 What remains is the question how to find and get rid of the entry now, and whether I should go back to INVARIANTS* on in the kernel in order to avoid further mangling.

 The box previously has survived months up building (and running) RELENG_8 kernels & worlds happily during the last year with INVARIANTS on.

 Thanks,

 Peter.