bin/148296: [zfs] [loader] [patch] Very slow probe in /usr/src/sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c

Jimmy Olgeni olgeni at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 27 12:10:03 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR bin/148296; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jimmy Olgeni <olgeni at FreeBSD.org>
To: Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua>
Cc: "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher at yandex.ru>, bug-followup at FreeBSD.org,
        Norikatsu Shigemura <nork at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: bin/148296: [zfs] [loader] [patch] Very slow probe in
 /usr/src/sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:06:42 +0200 (CEST)

 On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Andriy Gapon wrote:

 > I still think that we need a method for querying partition scheme and available
 > partitions for a disk.  Perhaps for "biosdisk" only at this point.

 I poked around a bit...

 If we #include "../i386/libi386/libi386.h" (which seems a bit ugly
 here) then we can examine the partition layout using
 _data._gpt.gpt_nparts and _data._gpt.gpt_partitions from struct
 open_disk:

    struct i386_devdesc *desc = ((struct i386_devdesc *)(files[fd].f_devdata));

    struct open_disk *od = desc->d_kind.biosdisk.data;

    /* get actual partition count and types */

 However, struct open_disk and gpt_part are local to biosdisk.c, so
 they should probably be moved to a header.

 Maybe struct open_disk could be moved to stand.h where struct
 open_file already resides?

 In that case we would only need to pull i386_devdesc from libi386.h
 here.

 --
 jimmy