bin/148296: [zfs] [loader] [patch] Very slow probe in /usr/src/sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Mon Jul 26 12:30:10 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR bin/148296; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua>
To: Jimmy Olgeni <olgeni at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher at yandex.ru>, bug-followup at FreeBSD.org,
        Norikatsu Shigemura <nork at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: bin/148296: [zfs] [loader] [patch] Very slow probe in /usr/src/sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:23:00 +0300

 on 26/07/2010 14:56 Jimmy Olgeni said the following:

 > Hello,
 >
 > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
 >
 >> just one note - user can create partition that doesn't start from 1.
 >> For example:
 >>     # mdconfig -s 100m
 >>     # gpart create -s gpt md0
 >>     # gpart add -i 5 -t freebsd-zfs md0
 >
 > This is slower, but safer: it doesn't fall back to slices, and only
 > skips checks when a vdev is found at the unit level.

 I still think that we need a method for querying partition scheme and available
 partitions for a disk.  Perhaps for "biosdisk" only at this point.
 Just look into sys/boot/i386/libi386/biosdisk.c, bd_open/bd_open_gpt/bd_open_mbr
 to see what a waste each blind probe is.

 --
 Andriy Gapon