zfs on 4k sector disks

Bucarr bucarr at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 02:44:59 UTC 2010

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 11:28:03 -0700 (PDT)
Bucarr <bucarr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering that as well.  So I set up a new FreeBSD8.0 box with
> a UFS2 disk as my boot disk and two WD 2TB EARS drives ("Advanced
> Format") for a zfs data array.  I made no attempt to alter the WD
> drives in any way and ignored the 512b vs 4096b issues.  'zpool
> create tank raidz da0 da1' set up the array in a few seconds and I've
> copied to/from with no troubles and no apparent performance issues
> that I care about.  If I had more of the WD drives lying around, I'd
> add those to the array and see what gives then.

I suspect the performance may be acceptable, but probably not great.
I thought I didn't have any problems with RAIDZ's variable stripe size
on my EARS drives either until I found some writes would suddenly take
ages to finish, causing applications to hang.

--
Bruce Cran

I wonder if my 2 drive experiment in RAIDZ didn't simply mirror the drives
so that striping wasn't invoked at all?