ZFS - scrub lead to corruption?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Jan 26 18:34:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010, Paul Pathiakis wrote:

> Thank you, Bob.  It worked fine.  I'm up and working on the machine
> as I'm typing this.  The zpool status <pool> says everything's fine.
> (??!!)  That's a relief.  However, why did the scrub cause it to
> crash?

Zfs scrub is often the most intense thing you will do with your
computer.  It tends to uncover problems which are not necessarily
related to zfs.  If you are not using ECC memory, then bad memory is
the first thing you should check for.

> Please let me know.  (Bob, BTW, I just checked into OpenSolaris
> bootable CD it's nice, you may want to check it out - FreeBSD is
> still a passion due to it's BSD storied history.)

OpenSolaris has not been quite to the state where I feel that I should
use it.  Perhaps in three months (next OpenSolaris release) the
situation will have changed.

Meanwhile my FreeBSD system has been solid as a rock since 2003.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn