slight zfs problem after playing with WDIDLE3 and WDTLER

Tommi Lätti sty at iki.fi
Mon Jan 25 19:06:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

After googling a bit and finding out that changing the few parameters
on my wd green drives with wdidle3 and wdtler shouldn't cause any data
loss, decided to go ahead and change the parameters.

Now after changing the parameters so that the drives don't try to park
their heads every 8 seconds and the TLER kicks in earlier, one of the
raidz1 vdevs of course went south.

First raidz1 is 3x1.5TB drives (which seems to be fine) and the second
one (which now reports UNAVAIL) is 3x1.0TB which apparently got the
short straw now reports "corrupted data", all the drives are online
but of course the whole tank is unavailable due the second raidz1
being unavailable.

I immediately went back to the old settings with the utilities but
this didn't change the situation. Getting the data back from backups
is a rather long process due the small pipes involved and could take a
week or more, I'd rather hear if there is any other options to recover
from the mess...

After checking the logs carefully, it seems that the ada1 device
permanently lost some sectors. Before twiddling with the parameters,
it was 1953525168 sectors (953869MB), now it reports 1953523055
(953868MB). So, would removing it and maybe export/import get me back
to degraded state and then I could just replace the now
suddenly-lost-some-sectors drive?

--
br,
Tommi