kern/142597: [ext2fs] ext2fs does not work on filesystems with really big directories

Aditya Sarawgi sarawgi.aditya at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 16:30:06 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR kern/142597; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Aditya Sarawgi <sarawgi.aditya at gmail.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, vermaden at interia.pl
Subject: Re: kern/142597: [ext2fs] ext2fs does not work on filesystems with
 really big directories
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:54:54 +0000

 On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 09:43:26PM +0000, linimon at FreeBSD.org wrote:
 > Old Synopsis: ext2fs does not work on filesystems with really big directories
 > New Synopsis: [ext2fs] ext2fs does not work on filesystems with really big directories
 >
 > Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-bugs->freebsd-fs
 > Responsible-Changed-By: linimon
 > Responsible-Changed-When: Sun Jan 10 21:43:16 UTC 2010
 > Responsible-Changed-Why:
 > Over to maintainer(s).

 Hi,

 Can you give a rough estimate of the number of files you have in the
 directory, and if possible at what value is this breaking. The current
 code supports large_file and I don't think dir_index maybe causing this,
 the only thing dir_index would do is make the lookup faster. The other
 thing I would like to know is that when you do ls big_dir do you get the
 prompt back or ls keeps waiting.

 Thanks
 Aditya Sarawgi