Errors on a file on a zpool: How to remove?

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Sat Jan 23 21:22:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Rich wrote:

> I already diagnosed the bad hardware - one of the two sticks of RAM
> had gone bad, and fails memtest in the other machine.
>
>   pool: rigatoni
>  state: ONLINE
> status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
> 	corruption.  Applications may be affected.
> action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
> 	entire pool from backup.
>    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
>  scrub: scrub completed after 15h28m with 1 errors on Thu Jan 21 18:09:25 2010
> config:
>
> 	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> 	rigatoni    ONLINE       0     0     1
> 	  da4       ONLINE       0     0     2
> 	  da5       ONLINE       0     0     2
> 	  da7       ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  da6       ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  da2       ONLINE       0     0     2
>
> errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
>
>         rigatoni/mirrors:<0x0>

Can you post your entire pool filesystem structure? That message above
looks like an unreferenced block or corrupted metadata rather than an
actual file. Also, if it's part of a snapshot, you simply have to destroy
the snapshot.

I had a pool become corrupted due to bad memory, and all of the files were
still able to be manipulated. The only time EIO popped up was on the
specific block that had a checksum error.