Repeatable ZFS "kmem map too small" panic on 8.0-STABLE

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Sat Jan 23 14:35:02 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-22 20:33, Artem Belevich wrote:

 > Ignore my previous email. Something else is probably at play here. If
 > I were right, then you should have ended up with vm.kmem_size=8G.
 > However, in your case it's 2G. Beats me why.

I apologize, when I captured the sysctls, I was running with different
values in /boot/loader.conf than what we were discussing.  While I was
waiting for a response, I was experimenting with a recommendation to run
kmem_size = 1/2 phy RAM and arc_max 1/2 of kmem_size.

This is what I have now:

# cat /boot/loader.conf
vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:bethesda"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="1G"
vm.kmem_size="20G"
zfs_load="YES"

# sysctl hw.physmem vm.kmem_size vm.kmem_size_max vfs.zfs.arc_max
hw.physmem: 4102688768
vm.kmem_size: 3668041728
vm.kmem_size_max: 329853485875
vfs.zfs.arc_max: 1073741824

# unixbench fstime fsbuffer fsdisk

panic: kmem_malloc(131072): kmem_map too small: 3593236480 total allocated

--
Regards,
Doug