Errors on a file on a zpool: How to remove?

Rich rincebrain at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 08:14:08 UTC 2010

I already diagnosed the bad hardware - one of the two sticks of RAM
had gone bad, and fails memtest in the other machine.

  pool: rigatoni
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
	corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
	entire pool from backup.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
 scrub: scrub completed after 15h28m with 1 errors on Thu Jan 21 18:09:25 2010
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	rigatoni    ONLINE       0     0     1
	  da4       ONLINE       0     0     2
	  da5       ONLINE       0     0     2
	  da7       ONLINE       0     0     0
	  da6       ONLINE       0     0     0
	  da2       ONLINE       0     0     2

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

        rigatoni/mirrors:<0x0>

Scrubbing repeatedly does nothing to remove the note about that error,
and I'd rather like to avoid trying to recreate a 7TB pool.

- Rich

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 3:11 AM, Artem Belevich <fbsdlist at src.cx> wrote:
> The directory that those files are in may be corrupted. What does
> zpool status -v show?
>
> You may want to scrub the pool if you haven't done so yet. That would
> help to find all corrupted files.
>
> When plain files are corrupted, you should be able to remove them. You
> may also try to set atime=off on the filesystem to avoid filesystem
> updates on reads.
> Some time back when I had zpool corruption I've found no way to remove
> corrupted directory that still had some files in it. In the end I had
> to rebuild the pool.
>
> BTW, given that your pool did get corrupted, perhaps it might be a
> good idea to start moving your data somewhere else rather than worry
> about how to remove corrupted files. If corruption is due to bad
> hardware, bad files would just keep popping up.
>
> --Artem
>

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Rich <rincebrain at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey world,
>> I've got a series of files in a non-redundant zpool which all report
>> Input/Output Error on attempting to manipulate them in any way - stat,
>> read, rm, anything.
>>
>> Whenever anything is attempted, the following style of thing is
>> printed to /var/log/messages:
>> Jan 23 01:22:34 manticore root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=rigatoni
>> path=/dev/da4 offset=1231402180608 size=8192
>> Jan 23 01:22:34 manticore root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=rigatoni
>> path=/dev/da5 offset=446136819712 size=8192
>> Jan 23 01:22:34 manticore root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=rigatoni
>> path=/dev/da2 offset=320393101312 size=8192
>> Jan 23 01:22:34 manticore root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=rigatoni
>> path=/dev/da5 offset=446136819712 size=8192
>> Jan 23 01:22:34 manticore root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=rigatoni
>> path=/dev/da2 offset=320393101312 size=8192
>> Jan 23 01:22:34 manticore root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=rigatoni
>> path=/dev/da4 offset=1231402180608 size=8192
>> Jan 23 01:22:35 manticore root: ZFS: zpool I/O failure, zpool=rigatoni error=86
>>
>> What can I do? I really would like to just purge all of these files
>> from orbit, since I can recreate them, but I can't seem to delete
>> them, and deleting the pool is a really inconvenient option, as I have
>> other data on it.
>>
>> I'm running 8.0-RELEASE stock on amd64.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - Rich

Todo homem morre, mas nem todo homem vive. -- William Wallace