Manual partitioning for newbies

Ivan Borodin noamscai.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 09:56:46 UTC 2010

iGreetings to respective residents.
Excuse me, haven't found a mailing list for newbies...

Experiencing difficulties... Could anybody help?

Its about partitioning using fdisk -f and bsdlabel.
Trying to assemble a sh script for housekeeping purposes installing freebsd
onto a given target
Even don't know what is the question... The critical lack of experience in
subj  stops me from gathering information myself. Supposed one wants to
generate fdisk config file so he should have these magic numbers describing
disk( usb storage, md, ... ) geometry. There's some mess with this geometry
because of  legacy problems, as i can see, and because  my
misunderstanding... Sysinstall offers some geometry, then "recalculates" it,
and if you don't let it to, the new system can be born unbootable, disk
sizes returned by atacontrol differ from those returned by fdisk, no visible
means to determine flash drive parameters( ex me, i don't now how a google
request about it should look like), this magick 63 offset for the first
slice, mysterious "raw" part don't edit..
Can someone help with this?
Needa create one config for layout with say 50m fat and FreeBSD on all
remaining and another with FreeBSD using entire disk.
And with bsdlabel+config, if i have the size of the slice, everything
further is the question of arythmetics and appending a raw partition to the
table. The exact partiton sizes need to be somehow calculated depending on
fs or can be arbitrary and aproximate?
And some waypoint.. errr... How can i get geometry parameters for ata, usb
and md-devices?

(c)Lame English Int. Читать-то по-проще будет, да...
[root@ ~]# fdisk -s /dev/ad5
/dev/ad5: 19383 cyl 16 hd 63 sec
Part        Start        Size Type Flags
   1:          63    19538001 0xa5 0x80

[root@ ~]# atacontrol cap ad5 | grep lba
lba supported         19538975 sectors
lba48 not supported

Seems like sysinstall threw away 974 sectors while partitioning..

Noamasca at home$