should zfs care so much about device name changes

Nikolay Denev ndenev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 13:59:08 UTC 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Nikolay Denev wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to test the new option ATA_CAM, but that would require a boot from another media (USB Drive/CD) and a zpool export/import
> to update the vdev names. (actually it's shown as "path" in the zpool.cache file) because otherwise the system would refuse to open/mount
> the pool.
> But is that really necessary given the fact that all the devices are here, and have matching GUIDS to those in the zpool.cache file?
> Shouldnt ZFS just import the pool?
>
> In the current state what would one have to do to for example test ATA_CAM on a remote machine, where export/import from a rescue
> media is not possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Niki

I have now looked at sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/vdev_geom.c and it seems that when a vdev isn't found by pathname it
is being searched by guid. But it doesn't seem to be the case here. The loader sees the pool and boots the kernel, but then the kernel does not see
the pool. Any ideas?

Regards,
Niki Denev