Problem with writing an UFS2 to iStore Storage System / can't find block in cyl 0 / bad magic number

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Wed Feb 24 10:02:26 UTC 2010

Erik Scholtz, ArgonSoft GmbH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on the problem I'm describing below since 12/2008. In Dec.
> 2008 I was trying to connect an iStor iSCSI-Storage-System to my FreeBSD
> (tested with all releases 6.4, 7.1, 7.2 and 8.0), which did not work.
>
> After having many tests and working together with Danny from the iSCSI
> Development Team, I'm now pretty sure the problem is in the UFS-tools
> and neither in the SCSI nor in the iSCSI-driver.
>
> I come to this conclusion, since I was able to get a filesystem working,
> after extending my Kernel with ext-3 and using ext-3 as filesystem - so
> SCSI and iSCSI seem to work properly.

Did you tried partitioning with gpart and then UFS2 + SoftUpdates on
/dev/da0p1?
I am using it with 7.2-STABLE from January and iscsi_initiator 2.2.4 on
Dell MD3000i (2.7TB partition)

gpart create -s GPT da0
gpart add -b 34 -s 205520830 -t freebsd-ufs -l MyLabel da0
newfs -U /dev/da0p1

Just substitute 205520830 with size of your storage.

Miroslav Lachman