zfs on 4k sector disks

Sat Feb 20 10:05:25 UTC 2010

Hello,

I've got 3 1.5TB drives that are using the "Advanced Format" from
Western Digital, see the link for details:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/WhitePapers/ENG/2579-771430.pdf
This "Advanced Format" basically means the sectors size on disk is
changed to 4k in stead of 512k.

I'm wondering if freeBSD 8.0 using ZFS raidz and drives like these will
work properly, I've seen a lot of articles and postings about partitions
not being properly aligned with the physical disk layout and suffering
big performance hits. My question is; should I worry about these issues
or does ZFS already align the data on a 4k border?

My setup would be 3 * 1.5TB WD drives (WD15EARS) using the whole drive
for a raidz pool.

Thanks,
Rob Evers
***deze e-mail is gescand door Onlinespamfilter.nl***