ZFS - scrub lead to corruption?

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 16:07:24 UTC 2010

Graham,

Thanks for the info.  I've realized something that is... disconcerting.  (I had found that article but I don't think the FreeBSD zdb is as robust with features.)

So, I did a quick install of a base OS.  I've backed up everything in /usr that doesn't cause a crash (it's only /usr/bin, /usr/share, and /usr/obj files) onto the new pool.  Many various files in directories and sub-sub-sub-sub... dirs in /usr have files in them that if you touch them *CRASH*

I'm going to zfs destroy the /usr partition and all the subpartitions and recreate it.  I'll restore everything from the new OS /usr.  From there, I'll change my pool mountpoints back to the norm and I will see if I can make the world and install it.

(I'm also going to upgrade the firmware on the drives as well.  I'm going to see if Seagate release a version later than the one I have for the 1500 GB drives)

I'll give the list an update after this.

Paul

Hi all!

Well, I got it to work.

I went back to my reference link from the wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS site.

I installed the pmbr and gptzfsboot onto partition 'p1' on both disks of the mirror.
(don't know if that's necessary, done as a CYA)

I used zfs set mountpoint=/{pool mount} pool/mount for all the subdirs that were necessary.

I cvsup'd from the booted system to the /<pool> /<pool>/{usr, var,}

I then cd into /{pool}/usr/src.  I set DESTDIR to be /{pool}/usr/src

make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
make installworld (scary but had to be)

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! You need a zfspool.cache file in /<pool>/boot/zfs dir.

So, move it to a .old file in the booted filesystem and perform a:

zpool export <pool> && zpool import <pool>

Move this file to /<pool>/boot/zfs.

Move the old one back.

Use zfs set mountpoint= commands to put all the pools back to the correct hierarchy so ZFS can mount them properly on reboot.

I believe this is everything.

I'm up and running and now understand a lot more about the new zfs boot process and zfs requirements.

After all this, everything seems to be working fine.

I'm going to cvsup STABLE and ports and rebuild the machine.

P.

PS - Anybody know how to remove some permanent errors I have?  Once I zpool status, it showed 10 corrupt files, I copied stuff from back up and now says everything's fine but the errors exist (no longer paths) on the disk at 10 separate addresses.