ZFS recovery after power failure

Sergey Gavrilov srg.gavrilov at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 21:47:06 UTC 2010

System was 8.1 STABLE, when it failed. 8 Seagate Constellation SAS drives
and 3ware 9690SA-8I controller (was in performance mode without BBU). I khow
it's my mistake, I relied on UPS. And UPS (Symmetra RM) was the reason of
the power failure.

Another strange thing was happened as well. System as I said was 8.1 and
always been 8.1 with ZFS ver. 15. But when I was trying to import pool I
couldn't because of my vesion of ZFS is less than pool version. zpool
upgrade -v shown ver. 14.

I've upgraded system to 8.2-PRERELEASE. It's resolved problem with versions.

By now I've recovery practically all data on pool using dd, od and the ZFS
On-Disk Specification<http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/ondiskformat0822.pdf>paper.

Sorry for the buzz and my english. If any questions, I will grad to answer
if it help somebody else.

--
Best regards,
Sergey Gavrilov