Migrating from NFSv3 to v4 - NFSv4 ACL/permission confusion

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon Dec 6 23:17:22 UTC 2010

> I might be misunderstanding you, but ZFS definitely supports NFSv3
> because I've been mounting and using NFS volumes via this protocol
> version for quite some time now without incident.

Yep, but you couldn't do a getfacl or setfacl in the client to
manipulate the ACLs. On an NFSv4 mount, you should be able to do
a getfacl or setfacl if the volume on the server supports NFSv4 ACLs.

I suspect the failing "chown" doesn't have anything to do with ACLs.
(It might be that the server doesn't know "joe" as a user, for example.
 In NFSv3, it would have sent "joe's" uid to the server, which is just
 a number it always trusts. For NFSv4, it will have sent "joe@<your.domain>"
 to the server and the NFS server must then know "joe" so it can turn
 that into "joe's" uid.)

It just hit me that you said "joe" was a local user in the client?
(For NFSv4 to work, the user names must be in the server's passwd
 database as well. Usually all the clients and servers share the
 same user and group databases via LDAP or NIS, but you can just
 copy /etc/passwd and /etc/group entries around, if you like.
 After updating the server's /etc/passwd or /etc/group, I don't
 know what you need to do to get Solaris's NFSv4 server to see the
 update. I always just reboot it. For a FreeBSD server, it should
 find additions. For deletions or changes to an entry, you can
 either wait for it to time out the cache or kill/restart the nfsuserd.)

rick