Migrating from NFSv3 to v4 - NFSv4 ACL/permission confusion

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Mon Dec 6 22:45:54 UTC 2010

Rick Macklem wrote:
>> So, if I want to just ignore the NFSv4 ACLs on account of not needing
>> anything beyond the POSIX ACLs, I'm free to do so without
>> consequence... Correct?
>>

> Well, NFSv4 won't be able to manipulate POSIX ACLs (really POSIX.1e draft
> which was never ratified and, as such, isn't a POSIX standard as I understand
> it). If you meant "beyond chmod" then I think you will be ok, but I haven't
> used ZFS, so??

Well, chmods and POSIX.1e ACLs work fine in NFSv3 with the same ZFS
server and everything else being the same on the FreeBSD site, so I
don't think that ZFS is the problem here unless ZFS has some sort of
NFSv4 host bug.

--
Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful,