Migrating from NFSv3 to v4 - NFSv4 ACL/permission confusion

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Mon Dec 6 22:02:30 UTC 2010

Rick Macklem wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is possibly a more fundamental non-FreeBSD specific set of
>> questions, but ultimately this is relevant to usage on FreeBSD, so...
>>
>> I'm fairly certain that NFSv4 is supported under Solaris 10/ZFS and
>> FreeBSD/ZFS via the standard "share" binary or the sharenfs ZFS
>> property, right?
>>
>> In mounting an NFS share on my FreeBSD test machine via the following:
>>
>> mount -t nfs -o rw,nfsv4 ipaddress:/share /path/to/share/directory
>>
>> I'm unable to change the permissions of any of these files via a
>> standard chmod on the client (FreeBSD) side. What are NFSv4 ACLs, and
>> is
>> this in any way relevant to my problem here? Do ACLs need to be set in
>> order to use a volume like I can an NFSv3 volume, which works just
>> fine
>> for me?
>>
> It might be worth capturing packets "tcpdump -s 0 -w xxx host <server>"
> while trying a "chmod" and seeing what goes over the wire. You can look
> at it via wireshark or email me "xxx" and I can take a look.
>
> I don't know anything about ZFS, but you could try getfacl/setfacl on the
> client and see what happens?
>
> Edward Napierala (trasz at freebsd.org) did commit a recent change w.r.t.
> NFSv4 ACLs and I remember the discussion saying something like "after
> this change, chmod no longer does anything once ACLs are enabled, but I
> have no idea if it is relevant.
>
> Also, make sure "ls -l" is not reporting "nobody". If the user/group
> name mapping isn't working, most Setattr Ops will fail.
>
> rick

Thanks Rick,

I will look into this, but for the benefit of my own education, are
NFSv4 ACLs supposed to be intertwined or separate from standard Unix
permissions? I'm confused as to how the ACLs have changed from v3, or if
this is even relevant to my problem not really knowing how they work and
why they are needed :)

Care to provide some basic info here?

I'll follow up on this and will provide this dump info shortly...

--
Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful,