Linux (client) - FreeBSD (server) NFS4 interoperability problem

Tomáš Drbohlav drb at karlov.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Dec 2 11:59:18 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am setting up an experimental (kerberized) NFSv4 server on FreeBSD
8.1-RELEASE-p1 and while between fBSD server and client it seems to work
more or less ok, while connecting from Linux (Ubuntu), I am not able to
read any file contents. Walking through dirs is ok, but when clients
asks for a file, it freezes.

As I noticed in the list, tcpdump may be useful, so I made one, see
attached file.

Although I am not an nfs expert, when I opened the dump in WireShark it
seems to me, that server does not respond to packet #83, Compound Call
containing OPEN opcode. That is probably the thing which disturbes Linux
client. But why? It is beyond my capabilities.

What can I do to make i work? Is it me or server, who si broken?

I'll be happy to provide any data/testing needed.

Thanks a lot,

  Drb